Published On: December 30, 20222 min read

Starting university can be a big move, but transferring to a new country, like the UK, can be even more difficult. Now all that is left to do is say your goodbyes and begin an exciting new chapter of your life in the UK. Being an international student can be a bit daunting, but don’t worry we are here to help you to have a wonderful student experience in the UK. There are a few important things that you need to do when you arrive in the UK;

Check into your accommodation

  • Travel by an Uber or Bolt
  • Travel via bus

Get connected by getting a sim card

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) collection

Being an international student coming for higher studies in the UK, you are required to collect your BRP card. The BRP can be collected from;

  • Post Office
  • University

After collection, present your passport and BRP card to register yourself with the university and receive your student ID card.

Open a bank account

  • Llyods
  • Barclays
  • HSBC

You may be able to apply for a bank account online.

Most banks are likely to ask for:

  • Passport/valid photo ID
  • A recent letter from the bank – proof of address
  • Proof of studying in the UK – letter from the university

Register yourself with NHS – GP Registration

Since you have paid the immigration health surcharge (IHS) as part of your visa application, you can access NHS services for free. Contact your nearest hospital for registration. You will usually need a UK address when applying.

National Insurance (NI) number

If you wish to work part-time, then one of the most important UK activities would be to apply for a NI number. This ID proves you are legally allowed to work in the UK. You can apply for a NI number by booking an appointment online and posting a copy of the required documents. The documents needed are a passport and BRP card. It can take eight to nine weeks to get a NI number.

  • New BRPs might have a NI number already – it will be printed on the back of your BRP.
  • If you do not have a NI number, you must apply for one if you plan to work. You can only apply when you’re in the UK. It takes 3 months to get an NI number.


There are several ways to travel in or outside the UK. Some of the transportation ways are;

  • Rail Card: Digital Railcard can be bought online – it’s stored directly in the Trainline app, so you can use it right away. Students aged 16-25 years can avail a 30% discount on their train travel in the UK through a Young Persons Railcard.
  • Bus Pass
  • Trams
  • Taxi
  • Cycle
Share This Post

Read Similar Content

Get Free Advice

Get 100% off Consultancy Fees

Students who have already secured their IELTS score at the required level get 100% off their consultancy fees. Use the code “ielts” at the checkout.

Confused Need An Expert Advice? Lets Have A Chat!